July 15, 2011

SWF Syndrome

I have what I call an insane coworker. There is only two of us in the office so avoiding her is not going to happen. I am beginning to think that she has the single white female syndrome. HELP! I don't know how to be "friendly" without it looking like we are friends... any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Going Crazy In Saco!
__________________________

Robin A. says: Ahhhh... the old getting close to co-workers without getting close dilemma.
Avoid adding her to social sites or inviting her to social gatherings you attend.
As a matter of fact, the less she knows about you the better. Keep it simple, try to keep your personal information to a minimum. Start talking only about politics and/or religion... that might work. Or do what I do and randomly discuss serial killers, zombies and survivalism. (That's of course if you want to scare them away completely.)
If she wants to blab on about herself, go ahead and let her. It's ok to pretend you're interested but only in moderation, you of course want to remain polite. "Don't ask, don't tell" - let the conversation end with her story and move on. Be conveniently busy, quick comment, back to work.
If all else fails get her a kitten. At least she'll have amusing pictures to share during the workday.
Or... a complimentary loaded gun in her desk drawer for one of her "bad days"....
Problem solved.

* * * * *

Robin C. says: I would just 'out-insane' her. Might I suggest bring a baggie full of dog crap to work and throwing it on her desk? Yell at her "I believe this is yours!" and pretend to see a dog running around the office all the time. A few days of that and I bet your problem would be solved immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment