July 18, 2011

What's Mine is Mine

So, I want to know your opinions, oh those with sage advice who are not emotionally invested in the situation...

A friend did something on Facebook that could not be undone without a lot of emails and (as a last resort) reporting the content as my intellectual property (which I didn't do because I was afraid they'd boot this friend off Facebook). I was mad, because it basically left me as a sitting duck for anyone who searched the information. Let's just say I have privacy issues.

Anyway, in my frustrated state, I posted about the inability to get anyone at Facebook to fix said situation and posted about it on my wall to warn others about this issue. I didn't name names. I also blogged about it, because it seriously is a major problem if using the normal contact means don't work. In my anger, I also blogged about it, again not naming names, because it really was a safety concern for me.

Throughout it all, I never named the guilty party, in fact, I took great pains to NOT name the friend.

She sent me an angry email that she'd said she was sorry and was also trying to get this issue fixed (it was going on for a month.) I found it strange that Facebook finally corrected the issue after I reported it as my intellectual content (which is not really the right way to code it, but it worked, so I'm not quibbling).

Was I wrong to write about it? I don't want others to have the same thing happen to them, which is why I wrote about it. It made me angry because it was done without my permission, but this friend seems to think that saying I'm sorry is enough for me not to be mad.

What are your thoughts?
__________________________

Robin C. says: No, not wrong at all. Nobody has the right to invade you like that at all. It's like being cyber smacked. Sounds like she needs a finger-flick between the eyes.

* * * * *

Robin A. says: Ohhhh. Copyright infringements are unacceptable. ALWAYS. I can absolutely relate to your anger and this person needs to realize it's like having a one night stand in an alley and left to feel dirty and used.

It amazes me how many people think they can re-post/use your work without telling or asking you just because they know you.

In her defense, if you are not a writer, artist, etc. you may be unaware of copyright laws. My suggestion is a link on your page regarding copyright laws, then there can be no more excuses. Here's a great one: http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jan/1/241476.html

Afterthought: It seems to me the only reason someone would be mad about you sharing information that would HELP others is because the information you are sharing is incorrect and they never tried to have the content removed to begin with.

She has no reason to be mad. If she wasn't a thief she wouldn't look like a jackass and let's be honest, that's the real issue here. Until she can realize she's the one at fault and this isn't about her, but about YOU and YOUR property, and that you have every right to feel the way you do - you're going to get nowhere.

Try wearing her perfume or dressing like her for awhile. Start talking like her, acting like her... show her how it feels to have your individuality raped.

No comments:

Post a Comment